When you list your home for sale the goal is to sell it as quickly as you can and for the most amount of money possible. If you prepare for the home sale now then you won’t have much to do when it comes time to list it. This will ensure there are no unnecessary delays and it will help relieve much of the stress that a home sale typically creates.
1. Pay for a Formal Inspection – If you are going to create a to-do list it might as well include any major issues that need to be addressed. You will likely have to take care of these things before closing on the home sale, so there is no point waiting until you are in the middle of a sale to find out what the inspector will flag.
2. Address Repairs – If you start preparing now, you should not have any repairs to take care of when it is time to list. So, go through and make a list of how many window screens you need to fix and which closet doors need a little TLC to get them back on track.
3. Consider Upgrades – If your competition tends to have modern kitchens and a spa-like master bath, you may want to consider renovating where needed. If it is not in the budget to completely renovate then make some upgrades with fresh paint and new hardware and lighting.
4. Invest in a Home Warranty – If you are scratching your head and saying you did not know such a thing exists, you are not alone. Surprisingly, many people are unfamiliar with home warranties, but they can be very helpful. Rather than spending your day off calling around to compare pricing and availability of technicians, plumbers, etc. pay a small co-pay and your warranty will handle all this for you.
5. Decide on an Agent – Choosing an agent is an important piece of the home sale process, so it is surprising that so many people just jump in and hire the first person they talk to. When you prepare early, you don’t have to feel rushed into making this important decision.
Waiting until the last minute to handle everything on this home sale list will only bring chaos and stress to your schedule. Create a to-do list, have an inspection done, and take your time hiring the right realtor for the best possible home sale experience.